TOP TIPS FOR BETTER EYE CARE
Top Tips for Better Eye Care
Research shows that half of all sight loss is avoidable, so let us inspire you to make small lifestyle changes that could make a big difference to your vision and eye health!
1. Eat Right for Good Sight - Eye friendly nutrients in fruit and veg, fatty acids derived from fish, nuts and oils can all protect your sight. Vitamins B and E can help protect against cataracts and omega 3 fish oils can help maintain healthy blood vessels within the eye. Research has shown that eating one portion of oily fish a week can reduce your risk of ARMD (Age Related Macular Degeneration) by up to 40%.
2. Quit Smoking -Toxic chemicals in tobacco smoke can damage the delicate surface and internal structures of the eye. This can lead to increased risk of many eye conditions including ARMD, cataracts, thyroid eye disease, dry eye and poor colour vision.
3. Watch your Weight - More than 50% of British adults are overweight. Maintaining healthy weight helps preserve macular pigment density which in turn helps to protect against cell breakdown and onset of ARMD.
4. Get Fit - Aerobic exercise can help to increase oxygen supply to the optic nerve and lower pressure building up inside the eye. This can help to control conditions such as Glaucoma and ocular hypertension.
5. Cover Up - Exposure to UV light increases your risk of developing cataracts and macular degeneration. UV is the biggest modifiable risk factor in cataract development. Always wear sunglasses if the UV index is above 3, and check that they filter at least 99% of UVA and UVB light. Sunnies should have a CE or British standard UV filter mark of 400.
6. Get Screen Smart - On average we spend 35 hours a week at the computer screen and 90% of us say we experience screen fatigue - tired eyes, blurred vision, headaches and poor colour perception. Avoid strain with the 20-20-20 rule - look 20 in front of you for 20 seconds every 20 minutes.
Book an eye examination if you have any symptoms that affect your daily life, or every two years even if you're not aware of any problems yourself. Our 3D scanners can detect signs of some eye disease up to 5 years before you notice symptoms, so these check ups can be seen as part of your general health routine.