top of page


National health service

Eye Examinations Under the NHS

The National Health Service pays for your eye examination if the following conditions apply to you:

  • You are under 16

  • You are a full time student aged 16, 17, or 18 and attend School, College, or University.

  • You are 60 or over.

  • You or your partner receives Income Support, or Income Based job Seekers Allowance, or Pension Guarantee Credit, or Income Related Employment and Support Allowance, or Tax Credit. For the latter you have to be named on a valid NHS Tax Credit Exemption certificate.

  • If you are on a low income but do not fulfill any of the above criteria, you can apply for an HC certificate - call into any of our four branches to collect one.

  • If you are registered blind or partially sighted.

  • If you suffer from Diabetes or Glaucoma.

  • If you are considered to be at risk from Glaucoma by an Ophthalmologist.

  • If you are aged 40 or over and you are the Parent/Sibling/Child of a person who has or has had Glaucoma.

  • If you are a prisoner or are on leave from a prison.

  • If you have been prescribed Complex Lenses under the NHS optical voucher scheme - speak to your Optician for details.

Speak to our team if you need to discuss your circumstances, or clarify your situation. The NHS also have guidelines regarding frequency of NHS eye exams.

National health service
bottom of page